Once again our unusual book selection requires some creative composing of questions. As far as we can tell there’s no other ones out there in the web world. Of course, we freely share our discussion questions, but please consider including a credit and link to our website.
- Was everyone somewhat familiar with Patti and Robert before reading this book? Have you heard her songs/ seen his artwork/photography? If so, how did this book change your idea of them?
- This is a love story, but Robert is bisexual. How is this a traditional relationship? How is it a very unusual one? Did Patti sacrifice her happiness for Robert?
- Both Patti and Robert became extremely successful in their lives. What drove them to their success? Was luck involved? Is it unusual for people so young to be so driven and confident?
- How did a lack of money and resources play into their lives? Would having money at a young age (perhaps getting it from their parents, etc.) have ultimately robbed them of the experiences that shaped who they became? Does being handed things dissuade creativity and drive? What does this say about today’s youth?
- When do you think Robert became aware of his sexuality?
- Is New York responsible for their success in a way? Imagine if they had met and lived in St. Louis, for example?
- How did knowing that Robert dies of AIDS at an early age shape your reading experience? Was there a tragic vein that ran throug the story knowing that he would die young?
Not familiar with Robert Mapplethorpe? Artsy offers a unique background on the artist. Their information includes Mapplethorpe’s bio, over 65 of his works, exclusive articles, as well as up-to-date exhibition listings.
Artsy is a resource for art collecting and education. Its mission is to make all the world’s art accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. After learning about Mapplethorpe, continue exploring other art and artists featured on their site.
Support our website!
If you like our website, please consider supporting us by buying this book through Amazon. You are directed to Amazon by clicking on the book cover to the left or on book covers displayed throughout our site. Thank you!