The following discussion questions for “Hissing Cousins” were created by our member Heather. We freely share our original discussion questions, but please consider including a credit and link to our website.
- What did you learn about the two fractions of the Roosevelt family?
- What surprised you about the history of the Roosevelts? Were you surprised to learn about all of the adultery?
- The book's title suggest that the two cousins, Eleanor and Alice don't get along. Did you feel this was a true representation of their relationship?
- What are the similarities between Alice and Eleanor's lives? How do their lives differ? How do these different and similar life experiences influence these women's view of the world?
- Throughout Eleanor's life she is introduced to many strong women. How do these women help influence and shape Eleanor's character?
- How do Eleanor and Alice each break down gender barriers during their lifetimes?
- If FDR had not contracted polio, do you think Eleanor would have evolved into the woman she became?
- In the book, the authors discuss the speculations surrounding Eleanor's sexuality. What are your opinions on whether Eleanor was a lesbian, bisexual, or heterosexual?
Support our website!
If you like our website, please consider supporting us by buying this book through Amazon. You are directed to Amazon by clicking on the book cover to the left or on book covers displayed throughout our site. Thank you!
Hissing Cousins discussion questions are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.