The following discussion questions for Me Before You were created by our member Heather. We freely share our original discussion questions, but please consider including a credit and link to our website.
- From the title of the book, “Me Before You,” who in this story is the “me” and who is the “you?” Does it change at various times of the story? Is this a sign of selfishness or selflessness?
- Why was Lou able to break through to Will when no one else could? What attracted Will to Lou? When did you realize Will was falling for Lou?
- If you were in Will’s situation, would you make the choices he made at the end of the story? Were you surprised by his decision?
- Discuss how Lou’s incident in the Castle maze shaped her life and compare this to how Will’s accident shaped his life. Discuss how each of them were able to help the other overcome their fears.
- Discuss the reaction of Lou’s mother, Josie, to Lou’s decision to go to Switzerland. Do you feel she was justified in her reaction?
- Mrs. Traynor is often depicted as cold, intimidating, and judgemental. Why does she portray herself this way to Lou and many others?
- What do you think of Will’s dad, Mr. Traynor? After hearing his side of the story, did your opinion of him change?
- The story at the beginning is told from Lou’s perspective and then there are a few chapters told from the perspective of other characters in the book, eg. Camilla, Treena, Nathan, and Mr. Traynor. Why do you think the author chose to do this? Did it help to understand the characters’ perpectives better by changing the narration?
- Discuss Lou’s birthday party celebration at her parents’ house. What did you think of Patrick’s reaction to Will and Lou’s relationship?
- If Lou had never worked for the Traynors, where would her and Patrick’s relationship have gone? Do you think he would have asked her to move in with him if he hadn’t felt threatened by Will?
- Discuss Lou and Treena’s relationship and compare this to Will and his sister, Georgina.
- What did you think of Lou’s plan to change Will’s mind? Did you think she would be successful?
Support our website!
If you like our website, please consider supporting us by buying this book through Amazon. You are directed to Amazon by clicking on the book cover to the left or on book covers displayed throughout our site. Thank you!
Me Before You discussion questions are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.